Built in 1906 and 1929, two grain elevators stand side-by-side at the St. Albert Grain Elevator Park.
Students capture the iconic grain elevators in a three dimensional project, including farm trucks bringing grain to the elevator and trains for transporting the grain.
- Learn what clay is and where it comes from; why it is bisque fired in a kiln; how to use clay and clay tools safely in a professional studio environment.
- Learn the different parts of a grain elevator and out buildings.
- Experiment with drawing, impressing, rolling, cutting and coiling clay in order to create a realistic rendering of a grain elevator.
- Art: refining forms, creative process, expression and celebration, fine and gross motor skill development
- Social: Alberta, The Land, Histories and Stories
- Science: Rocks and Minerals, Experimentation, Building Structures, Critical thinking, problem solving and decision making
Suggested field trips to pair with:
Visual Art Studio Field Trips:
The Art Gallery of St. Albert runs clay and multimedia art fieldtrips in the Visual Art Studios at St. Albert Place, located at 5 St. Anne Street. Parent volunteers are required for our programs to be a successful experience for all, so please provide them with correct address information on your fieldtrip forms.
St. Albert Place is a public building so it is important to keep voices down when entering the front doors and walking past the elevators to the end of the hall with your class. There are coat hangers available for three different classes under the windows outside of the studios. Please keep your students grouped together and knock on your assigned studio door when you are ready to enter. Instructors will meet you in the hallway to confirm student numbers and inform students and adults of important studio rules before entering.
Kindly email email@example.com or call 780 459 1163 for more information regarding booking a Visual Art Studio field trip.
- $9 per student (minimum class fee based on 16 students)
- Includes Art Kit (Air-dry clay, clay tools and water buckets; please inform registration if you would prefer H435 bisque fired clay)
- free pickup at Art Gallery of St. Albert or
- Added fee of $65 for delivery in St. Albert and $95 for delivery in Edmonton (Please request a quote for all outlying areas)
- $9 per student (minimum class fee of based on 16 students)
We’ll send an invoice to your school within one month—please don’t bring your payment to the workshop.
Please make cheques payable to Arts and Heritage St. Albert. Include invoice numbers and mail to: Arts and Heritage St. Albert, Suite #200, 20 Perron Street, St. Albert, AB T8N 1E4
For account inquiries, contact us at 780-459-1163 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What Teachers are saying about Grain Elevator Scene: